Sunday, July 3, 2011

Summer Reading....

Hey everybody!

I just finished reading a book by an English author Harriet Evans titled "The Love of Her Life." I've never read anything by Evans before, so I was looking forward to branching out to a new author.



The book circles around the main character, Kate, a late 20s/early 30s something woman working in NYC after moving across the pond from England in the year 2007. She is living with her mother and stepfather in Manhattan and receives notice that her father, back in England, is sick due to a kidney transplant that could go wrong...basically, Kate feels as though this is her time to say goodbye to her father, btu she feels reluctant and apprehensive about going home to London. Hmmmm, I wonder why!?!?

When Kate arrives in London, she returns to her flat that had just been vacated by a sub-letter. Clearly, being back in London and the apartment are surreal...the reader quickly senses that Kate had left London after some sort of tragedy, breakup, or both, but Evans keeps us hanging on to figure out what happened. Suddenly, we're transported back in time to 2003 where everything began.

Overall, I enjoyed this book despite its slow start and length (it was 300+ pages). I enjoyed the way Evans wove various characters' lives together and the events that transpired causing Kate to leave London. It was a good summer-by-the-pool-or-beach-read. Enjoy!

Now, I'm onto this book "Life As I Know IT" by Melanie Rose....another author I've never read before. We shall see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment