Monday, April 5, 2010

All the women who independent? Throw your hands up at me!

......quoting Destiny's Child!

When I was married, I had never attempted anything like this!! I had always asked a man (ugh!) to do this for me. Well, I had watched them install switches/dimmers and thought, "Hey that's not so tough..." And tonight, it was either switch out the plug or have no light in my bathroom.

Anyway, the switch in my bathroom wasn't working really well lately...the lights would stay on when I had turned the switch off and also, I'd jiggle the switch around and hear an electrical crackle.....not good. Anyway, I decided to bite the bullet and replace the little guy myself!

This is the original 1953 switch. I should've taken a pic of it in the wall, it was so dusty and disgusting.

I grabbed this new switch for about $10 at Lowe's and the switchplate was on clearance for $3.88 (score)! So, for about $15, I ended up with a surprisingly easy & modern look for a classic vintage tiled 1950s bathroom!

To do this, turn off the power circuit to your outlet.
Then, take the old switchplate off of the outlet.
Unscrew w/ a screwdriver the little screws holding the wires.
Remove the wires and then loop them around the same screwy thingys on the new outlet.
Tighten the screws to anchor it back in the wall & new switchplate!
Easy! Took me 5-10 minutes!


And here it is when switched off, a nice little orange glow....I thought this would be good for late night trips to the potty!

No comments:

Post a Comment